Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2015

not too much and not too soon

New York Dolls - too much, too soon LP - 1974 Mercury ‎– SRM-1-1001

































Another one from Stockholm although bought at a different store. The same one I bought this Velvet Underground LP at. We strolled by this store that had all kinds of 'vintage' things for sale and on the street they had 2 boxes of records for about a euro each. So I started flipping through those not expecting anything when I came across this Donna Fargo LP and those by Jim Reeves. When I went inside to pay for those I saw they had more records right inside and in the basement. I felt bad for my wife because I actually didn't want to check out any more record stores at that point but once I was in there I couldn't resist.
So I came across this awesome album. I have to admit that at first I wasn't really into the New York Dolls because they first Dolls record I bought was the 'Lipstick Killers - The Mercer Street Sessions 1972' which was recorded prior to their first LP at a different studio and are probably demo recordings. With a lot of punk bands their earlier or demo recordings are rougher and thus sound way better to me but not those. It was definitely the worst possible introduction to this band. In 2'13 I picked up a sealed bootleg copy of their s/t LP for $10 in New York. I figured I'd give them another chance and when better to do than while being in NY. Back home I couldn't believe how great it was. Ever since I like them as much as their contemporaries MC5, Stooges, The Velvet Underground, The Heartbreakers, etc.




























This copy definitely didn't look like a recent Re-Issue or a bootleg and the price didn't hurt too but what exactly it is I had no idea. And actually still don't. It's none of those pressings listed on discogs. I checked each one of those but there are differences to each one of those. It's pretty close to the original US pressing but the labels are a bit darker and the matrix etching is slightly different.
I'm pretty sure it's a legit release and not a bootleg. Who would boot a record down to the matrix and then get the etching wrong? It's probably a pretty small run repress from god knows what year. Not too recent though. It's nice to have a copy of this that not too many people know even exists.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen