Sonntag, 4. Januar 2015

for real? + a little recap of 2'14

I guess I'll lose a lot of credit with this post.
... if I ever had any that is.

Yesterday I posted about my two favorite new full lengths of 2'14 and today I'll take you all the way to the other end of the list because I already posted about the rest of the top 5 new LPs.
For those who are curious:
#1 Give - electric flower circus LP
#2 Praise - lights went out LP
#3 Cold World - how the gods chill LP,
#4 Sheer Terror - standing up for falling down
#5 Battle Ruins - s/t LP
That being said I'm still waiting to get my copies of the latest Boston Strangler and Hank Wood & The Hammerheads LPs but I don't think they'll make it into the top 5.
These will bring up the total count of newly released hardcore/punk full length records that I bought last year to 14. Once I have those I can finally make a top 10 although it will be hard to decide and therefore probably not done
Other contenders would be:
Fucked Up - glass boys 2LP which is quite a bit better than I had expected,
Said And Done - better days LP which is pretty good,
Bloodsuckers - crush to dust LP which is pretty good too,
Punch - they don't have to believe LP which is a lot better than anything they did before,
White Lung - deep fantasy LP which is a good one albeit a little weaker than their previous effort,
The Down & Outs - lifeline LP which is good but also not as good as their previous material and
Madball - hardcore still lives LP which I think is kinda weak.

Some might also throw Chain & The Gang's latest output "minimal rock'n'roll" into the mix but somehow I think they have transcended any genre and cannot be put on this list.

Last year's new albums that can definitely not be included on a list with hc bands:
Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - piano nights 2LP - awesome as always.
Leonard Cohen - popular problems LP - a tad better than the last one.
Morrissey - worldpeace is none of your business 2LP - one good song. bored by the rest.
Warpaint - s/t 2LP - one if not the best band I discovered for myself the last few years.

But now, finally, without anymore ado I present to you the worst record I bought last year.

NYC Mayhem - for real LP - 2014 Radio Raheem Records RADIO-005




































So many people hold this band in such a high regard that I've given them more than a fair share of trials but I just cannot get into this. Both their demos suck and there are maybe 2 ok to good songs among those previously unreleased 7" recordings. Sorry folks but y'all are wrong. This was not a good band.

Next!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen