Samstag, 9. August 2014

Can you take a Mucky Pup?

On March 22nd this year we (Stepdown) held another one of our shows at the legendary AK47 in Düsseldorf, Germany. On the bill that night were Empowerment, Isolation and Code Blue Coma but this post isn't about a release by any of those bands.

As always I went to Düsseldorf early to prepare for the show with the other 50% of our enterprise. He has a rather costly trip booked for later this year and had therefore culled a few records to sell andI got dips. Considering the fact that he's not a collector I didn't expect much and yet found this sentimentally charged record:

 

Mucky Pup - can't you take a joke? LP Roadrunner Records RR 9553 1 - 1988

Actually I had never listened to that record before getting my hands on the actual thing. Yet I have fond memories of this band, as I used to listen to the 'A boy in a man's world' and 'Now' full lengths a lot back in the early nineties even though I only had them dubbed onto the glorious cassette format.

This bred a natural curiosity about what that debut record of theirs sounded like. Not enough though to ever order a copy or actively seeking out a copy. I never even had an idea as to what it's worth and I still don't. Which is due to him just giving it to me. So THANK YOU again.


On this release you can clearly hear their hardcore roots.
Although not as good as DRI, COC, Crumbsuckers, etc 'Can't you take a joke' still puts them in the same category. And I'm glad I have this little nugget now as it joins the branch of music Mucky Pup, Freaky Fuckin' Weirdoz, Fishbone, Urban Dance Squad and others are best known for to the branch of hardcore on the family tree of music.

This was a great start into another great day in Düsseldorf which also had these two records - and a great show - in stall for me but more about those in their own respective posts soon.

 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen